Sunday, July 10, 2011

The promised roasted beet recipe...

After the first few weeks of getting the CSA we had gotten beets. None of us had eaten beets before (well maybe Timmy, but the rest of us hadn't... our mom must've not liked them as we didn't have them as children.) Anyways determined to try beets and like them I searched for a recipe. Luckily I had a cookbook that I had gotten from Andre and Brad as a wedding gift for Newlyweds *by the way it had a lot of great recipes* In paging through it I found a roasted root vegetable recipe that included beets, looked perfect. It was super simple and we cooked it up for father's day. Please find the recipe below.

- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lb parnsnips (I ended up using potatoes as parnsnips were out of season, worked just as well)
- 12 oz carrots sliced into 1/2 in diagonal slices (I just try to slice both the beets and potatoes into comparable pieces)*I used baby carrot and sliced in 1/2, I tried to use approximately the same amount
- 12 oz uncooked beets, scrubbed well and cut into 1/2 in diagonal slices
- 1 1/4 c heavy cream
- 1 tbs olive oil
- sea salt and ground black pepper

Cover the dish with foil and cook at 400 degrees for 1 hour 40 min. Remove the foil and add olive oil and cook for an additional 20 min.

I will add it also it was a very pretty looking dish w/ all the colors from the beets, potatoes, and carrots. We've been roasting the beets ever since because we loved them so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment