Saturday, July 23, 2011

Cabagge, what to do with all our cabbage?

I'll admit that we don't usually have cabbage that often expect yearly on St. Pat's day but on St. Pat's day it's a small amount at best. A few weeks ago we got cabbage 2 weeks in a row, a whole head of course and we weren't sure what do with it. I was interested in trying to make cabbage rolls as I had never done it before and well I thought it would use it up. Plus I think Liz had also searched some recipes for this so we were all on the same page. When I finally got around to making it I utilized some advice from a youtube video Liz had found. If you've never made this type of thing I would highly suggest watching it... anyways I was going to use their recipe however when I found out there was sauerkraut included in all the recipes on that site we were out, as neither my sister or I like kraut at all!! So I searched around a bit more (love the internet, you can find recipes for anything!) and four a recipe that was adapted for cabbage rolls w/o the kraut. Below is listed the recipe as on the website, I'll put at the bottom any adjusts we made.

Ingredients

12 leaves cabbage
1 cup cooked white rice *(I used instant brown rice*)
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup minced onion
1 pound extra-lean ground beef (*I mixed hot Italian sausage and ground beef*)
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar (*didn't use brown sugar as I was trying to keep it low sugar for my diabetic sister)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce


Directions:
Mix the meat up so it's ready to stuff in the cabbage when you're ready...
As shown in the video, I cored out the center of the cabbage and boil the head in water peeling away leaves and stacked them on a plate. I realized that when I went to roll them it was best that the leaves had been boiled a bit as you needed them pliable (if you will)... Once they are rolled I stacked them in the crock pot and poured tomato sauce, lemon juice and worcester sauce over the rolls and let them cook for 8 hours on low. I left the house with it cooking and came home to smell it complete. I will say a few days later we're still trying to get the cabbage stink out of the house (one major downside I would say...) Any suggestions to help get rid of this I would love them. They did taste quite delicious. I have them in the fridge to use in a few days for dinner for our lil crowd on Sutherland. Overall another successful completion of a recipe.


From CSA, Dinner, Chicken!

No comments:

Post a Comment