Saturday, February 24, 2007

Starlight Symphony for One

The perfect evening – not too cold, not too hot. Sprawled out on the grass, I’m not sure how the evening will turn out. The field is set-up to expect an extremely large crowd, the speakers are rigged up and playing music for the people arriving early before the show, and I’ve found a nice little patch of grass to lay on. I grabbed the book I’m reading to pass the time since it’s only about 6 pm and the show doesn’t start until after 7.

(I arrived early because I didn’t really have any other place I needed to be. It’s crazy. I don’t know how many other times in my life I will have the luxury of not really having anywhere I need to be. Every morning I wake up and decide what I’m going to do based upon the whim of the moment. What an indulgence!)

I’m sitting in Auckland Domain, one of many parks in Auckland, NZ. This one is quite large and also has a greenhouse, fernery, the Auckland Museum/War Memorial, and a smattering of lakes, sculptures, and walks. For my family and friends back in St. Louis, I’d relate it to Forest Park. I’m waiting for the Starlight Symphony. The evening is a free performance of the Auckland Symphony Orchestra and guests.

I finish the crappy chic lit book that I’m reading (My Life on a Plate by India Knight ~ I’d give it a 4 on a scale of 10) just as the show is starting and the sun is setting. They have timed the beginning of the symphony to the setting sun. The pinks and purples float in the sky, behind a row of tall-ish trees. The evening’s hosts take the stage and give a whole bunch of information about the evening’s sponsors and such.

The show ends up being extremely enjoyable and not all orchestra music I’ve never heard of. They have a variety of stars, who I can only assume are popular and well-known to the Kiwis, joining in with the orchestra. The Prime Minister welcomed us to the show (to think I haven’t even been here 2 weeks and I’m at the same place as the PM!). There was a children’s chorus, a special Starlight Chorus, and others. They had the Kiwi Idols (yes, they have that crazy show here in NZ too) come up on stage to sing Simon and Garfunkel’s Bridge Over Troubled Water. The Lady Killers sang a cover of Geri Halloway’s “It’s Raining Men” which I’ve never seen at an orchestra performance before, but it was fun. They also did some NZ songs that I was one of the few in the audience that didn’t know the tunes.

During the first half, they played a waltz so that all of Auckland could get up and waltz. This being my first time and all by myself, I didn’t waltz but watched all the kiwis. The very nice lady next to me, noticed afterwards that I was very clearly alone. We got to chatting and she offered me a glass of wine. I toasted her with my first glass of wine that I’ve had since I landed, and I learned she was originally from England. She and her boyfriend/husband (not sure which) have been living here for several years. They were extremely friendly and after they discovered I was a backpacker, insisted on giving me some food in addition to the wine, they had to “take care of the stray.”

As the evening began to wrap up, I heard the 1812 Overture, the Star War’s theme was played with the laser light show, and they did a fireworks show. After the fireworks, I got my stuff together so I wouldn’t miss the bus and started to head off the field. The orchestra played the NZ National Anthem to close the night. For the first time in my life, I found myself in a country where I was surrounded by people happily singing along to their national anthem and I didn’t have a clue how the song went or a single word. It was one of those moments where I felt excited to be experiencing such an event and at the same time missing America a wee bit. (It was only a tinsy bit, I’m back to normal now.)

A very fun and entertaining evening – and of course, better than free (since I was able to mooch off the neighbors)! Perfect for a backpacker’s budget.


1 comment:

  1. Very interesting they did "It's Raining Men" at the orchestra!

    ReplyDelete