Monday, February 12, 2007

Cliché, but true: Cook Islands, Paradise!

I reached Rartonga, Cook Islands, at about 9 am local time. I was wearing my black comfy pants and a t-shirt. Instantaneously, I broke into a sweat. It was probably about 32 degrees (Celsius of course) ~ roughly 90 degrees F. As I waited my turn to clear through customs, I could already tell that Rartonga was going to be fabulous. The clear, blue ocean is immediately visible and you cannot help but stare at the sights around you. On the other side of customs, they direct you to the proper pick up location (because there are soo many … not). Paul, Rebecca, & their small daughter were standing at the booth waiting to check me in. They crossed me off their list and directed me to the van where I hopped in and met some other backpackers. The short drive from the airport to the hostel was only about 15 minutes and full of indescribable scenery. Check out my photo album, and it just still doesn’t due it justice. When I arrived, Paul told me I was up in the red dorm off to the left. I grabbed my bags and headed up. Not everyone was awake yet in my room. I parked my bags on the floor and hunted for my tankini and sunscreen, and toothpaste. After one of the most refreshing times brushing, flossing, and such … I went and checked in. On island time, everything is done at its own pace. Checking in didn’t mean that I had to pay (as I still had to go hit the ATM), it just simply meant signing in. I walked and hitchhiked my way into town. I started walking, but its one looong walk. Thankfully, the landscape is marvelous. The blue of the sky and ocean is unending. The mountain peeks, the trees, flowers, and plants are all new to me and a wonder to take in. A very sweet local lady stopped and informed it was too hot to walk, where was I headed? I told her I’d like to go to town and she took me in. The main way to travel on the island is via scooter/moped. The speed limit on the island is 40, unless you are wearing a helmet, then you may go 60 km/hr. After my trip into town, I stopped at the store to buy food and waited for the bus. I sat and waited for I have no idea how long. I took the first bus to come by (there are only two: clockwise and counter-clockwise) and got dropped off at the bottom of the hill. I climbed the hill and was extremely exhausted and hungry. I made myself a bit to eat, then decided I just had to see the ocean. I think I’m quite the beach bum these days (RI’s fault!). After swimming for a bit with Isaac, the only other American in the whole place, I head back up the hill for another snack. The climb up the hill is not longer than 7 minutes, but its still soooo hot. I had to hop in the pool and than was able to meet more of the crew staying at Rartonga Backpackers. The hostel sponsors various activities and Thursday night (my arriving evening) was Island night. For $10 NZ they take you into town and drop you off at a bar called the staircase and you get to see a performance by the locals in traditional dance. Check out the video! I took a short clip of one of the local dancers. The musicians sing and beat time for the dancers. It was really interesting to hear about the culture of the CI and the people that inhabit them. Apparently there are 15 islands and each one has its own personality. After the show, my fellow backpackers and I hung out and enjoyed the evening. Exhausted, I arrived home by 12 pm and climbed into bed.

2 comments:

  1. I am extremely jealous of you!! Basically I'm living vicariously through you... BEHAVE YOURSELF! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Liz,
    Don't tell Miriam about Isaac. I'm sure she'll bring up the OP Snow camera guy.
    It sounds beautiful and a really wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete