Monday, February 12, 2007

Disastrous departure?

I didn’t not start off the trip on the best of foots, I have to admit. I had a near-meltdown when it was time to leave home in Kirkwood. I had forgotten my passport at the Ries’ house. As I furiously worried about how much time I had, Aunt Nina jumped into the car to meet Aunt Bridget on her way to the house. Mom & I met Nina at the turn to the airport as we all piled into the car together. Still nervous about time, we dashed to Lambert International Airport. We arrived at the airport just a bit before 2 pm, my flight was leaving at 2:25 pm but I had checked in on-line, so I wasn’t too worried. When I went inside to the desk and attempted to check my backpack, I had my second breakdown in less than an hour’s time. The Delta employee informed me it was 2 pm and they couldn’t check my bag. As I worried, she offered to rebook me into LAX at 10 pm. My flight for NZ was leaving, of course, at 10:15 pm. As I began to cry and start to think of other possibilities, I pleaded again for them to help me. Luckily, the second lady at the Delta counter decided to relent, and checked the bag. She looked up and said, “Well, you better get moving, they are not going to hold the plane for you.” I hugged mom and took off running. I was totally cheated out of my dramatic goodbye with hugs and well wishes and pictures and never got to see Aunt Kathie who drove out to the airport to send me off. Instead, I broke into a run ~ racing to beat the clock. As I approached security, I was upset and freaking out that I was going to miss my flight. As I was still crying, I asked the people in front of me if I could cut ahead. They all stepped encouragingly out of the way. I ripped my shoes off my feet and threw them in a bin, along with the rest of my loose belongings. I almost put my bag through the security machine without taking out my laptop. I don’t know if I’ve ever removed the laptop so quickly or haphazardly. I practically tossed it onto the belt. I walked through the check point, still in a state of panic, the security personnel yelled out “bag check.” I was petrified it was mine, and of course, it was. I shoved my feet into my shoes and frantically stared at the security desk. The man explained to me that I was not able to take any liquids pass security (I had brought 3 water bottles ~ they say hydration is the best way to fight jet lag) ~ I sobbed that he could have whatever he wanted I was going to miss my plane and therefore my international connection. “What time does it leave?” he asked. “2:25 pm, its already 2:15!” I blubbered. “Don’t worry. I guarantee you’ll make it. What gate are you leaving from?” he said in a calm voice, attempting to be comforting. “I don’t even know,” I whimpered. “It will be okay. It says on your ticket. Here you go.” And like that, I snatched up my ticket shoes untied, backpack ½ open, and clutching my laptop; read gate A4 and took off in a dead sprint. I arrived to hear “last call for boarding to Salt Lake City” and still in panic mode clamored aboard. I was lucky enough to be sitting next to a lovely lady named Rebecca. As I was obviously upset, she was so sweet as to help soothe me and help me to regain myself. I certainly cannot afford to panic like I did. As we waited for the flight attendant to bring me a box of tissues, I realized I needed to stow away my laptop, tie my shoes, and buckle my seatbelt. We were quickly in the air, and I don’t think it was until about an hour into the flight that I finally has settled down and was myself (sort of) again. The rest of the flight passed very quickly as Roberta and I chatted about my upcoming adventure and plans. In Salt Lake City, I only had ½ an hour, so I proceeded directly to the gate and climbed on board. I was lucky enough to have a exit row (more space) and was seated next to Bob. Bob and his wife were also on their way to New Zealand via LAX. It was quite fun as we chatted through the whole 2 hour flight about our upcoming trips. I arrived at LAX and much to my happiness, so did my backpack. I was quite excited when I checked in for flight 23 departing for Rartonga, Cook Islands. The flight was not very eventful, but I did have the fun of arriving in Papetee, Tahiti at 5 am and had a 2 hour layover that I was completely unaware of. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment