Friday, April 27, 2007

ANZAC Day

ANZAC Day is commemorated by Australia and New Zealand on 25 April every year to remember members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who landed at Gallipoli in Turkey during World War I. (copied from Wikipedia ~ I don't plagiarize). It is a public holiday much like Veteran's Day and to commemorate the veterans of foreign wars, people wear poppies. To get a poppy, you donate money to the RSA - Returned Services Administration or something similar. Of course, I bought a poppy while I was out and about. They sell them at many locations around town before ANZAC Day.

ANZAC Day fell on a Wednesday and I got the day off. Yippie!! It also happened that Paul & Claire, who own the place I live, were having a party. I got invited over. Double Yippie!! I was treated as part of the family as Claire's family was over for a visit. We had a late and lieserely lunch and enjoyed the fantastic warm and sunny weather. Claire's day came over via his own boat, while the rest of the family came over on the ferry. We had some yummy curry and pasta with delicious wine. Claire made a scrumptious chocolate and caramel dish for dessert. Needless to say, I had two pieces. It was a very lovely party and I was so excited to be a part of it. It was a wonderful way to spend one of my last days off on Waiheke. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment