Monday, March 19, 2007

Palm Beach Pad

It’s true, my new “pad” is in Palm Beach…. Waiheke Island. (Not quite the same as California). I have a pretty basic studio apartment, but I like it most of the time. There are lots of spiders and I hate spiders. I have all the necessities – bed, bathroom, small kitchenette, table and chairs, tv, and best of all ~ a view of the ocean. I still am a bit in disbelief that I actually live here, so waking up to the view every morning helps me to remember where I am and how fantastic it is. It’s about a 10-15 minute walk to Palm Beach from the apartment. I have to walk about 45 minutes to work each morning (and home again). I could take the bus, but its not the most convenient because the bus runs according to the ferry schedule and doesn’t circulate too much.

I am pretty sure there is not much I can do to get rid of the spiders because its in a woodsy area. I suffer from mild arachnophobia and feel the need to squash the spiders periodically. It generally takes me a long time, but I cannot get into the shower unless I’ve squashed each and everyone that I can see. I know the spiders are everywhere and they are generally harmless, but they really bother me in the shower.

The studio is attached to a house. Paul and Claire, true kiwis, own the house. They have two sons – Felix is about 2, the other son is about 7. So far, they are very friendly and I’m getting along with them well. Paul commutes to the city (Auckland) and works for the University of Auckland. They use part of their house as a bed and breakfast during the peak summer season (October – April) called Hauraki B&B . Claire runs the bed and breakfast part and works 2 days helping out somewhere else on the island. They are friendly kiwis and help to propagate the ideas that kiwis are green and eco-friendly. (Waiheke has a bit of a hippie reputation anyway.) They recycle, compost, buy organic foods…. It’s very interesting to hear what they have to say about America and Americans.

Palm Beach Pad

No comments:

Post a Comment