Thursday, March 1, 2007

Mosquito Heaven

It’s heaven for the mosquitoes, hell for human beings. They attack you while you are sleeping, of course, the unsuspecting victim. But they don’t hesitate while you’re eating breakfast or supper, taking a quick "dip" in the shower, reading …. Anything really. My ripe skin has accumulated numerous bites from my toes to my neck and I’m contemplating the effectiveness of my industrial sized bottle of spray with DEET.

Currently, I’m living at the Hekerua Lodge Backpackers. I try not too be all that particular and picky, I’m a backpacker now afterall! But this place, is honestly quite miserable. It’s like camping with electricity, but worse because I don’t trust the cleanliness and the water, well, it has issues. One of my co-workers who has been living at Hekerua Lodge informed me that her room had a “bed bug infestation.” How lucky!

All of the water on the island is generated from rainwater and individuals collect it in tanks and filter it. Therefore “water is precious on Waiheke” especially during summer when there is very little rain. There is no washing machine for me to clean my clothes which is quite depressing. I have a very limited supply of clothing and I suppose I shall have to hand wash them in the sink? Showering is also quite a tease, I don’t know how much cleaner I am really getting. There are two temperatures of water: second-degree-burn-scolding-hot or Antarctica-ice-cold. The second-degree-burn temp actually has decent water pressure. Ice cold is more like a slowly running tap. You really can’t get enough water to cover you, let alone rinse my long hair. They have signs everywhere reminding you how precious the water is and encouraging you to take 5 minute showers, but seriously, how am I supposed to shower that quickly if there is no water pressure?

After my glowing report, why are you not all rushing to move into Hekerua Lodge?? Hmm?? Thus, my weekend will be primarily consumed with looking for a place to live. Maybe if I’m lucky I’ll get around to laying on the beach or going for a swim in the pool at the lodge. I have made two appointments thus far and I’m crossing my fingers that one of the people looking for a “flatmate” will work out quickly and soon. I don’t want to stay at the backpackers more than another week.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like every day there at the lodge is an exciting adventure... DEET is the way to go to keep those mosquitos off. I'll send ya report of our weekend w/ Warren a lil bit later, probably after we get back. Had a blast, SLU lost by 1 point in double overtime! LOVE YA!

    ReplyDelete