Saturday, November 12, 2011

Dry Dock Farms.... the end!

We were anticipating the excitement of an end of the year fall festival to go out to the farm and meet our farmers, their friends, the other suppliers.  This didn't happen as they had a death in the family.  It was a bummer as we (June, Timmy, & myself... perhaps another straggler or two) wanted to see what our farm was all about and hand't been out to Silex, MO.

As the season has concluded, I am going to take a minute to reflect on our experience.  I feel strongly we received a full cooler every week but one.  I felt like it was top notch produce -- not the "leftovers."  I enjoyed our weekly newsletter and our suggestions for how to use and preserve the food.  With our season being finished, we still have items down in the freezer ready to microwave and eat.  I am planing to participate in a CSA again next year.  There is an option to get pick up across from our house at the Buder School for a cooperative. The downside is that all of the produce is not necessarily local.  Tim and I are leaning towards using Dry Dock Farms again.... June is leaning towards the co-op that you pick up across the street.

Also, through this experience with the farm we've had the opportunity to get locally raised chicken and pork.  It is wonderful.  I have a chicken and some pork downstairs in the freezer.  We have a grass fed cow 'hanging' for us at the processing plant.  The farmer, Mark Nagel, was a guy my dad met up at Kirkwood's farmers market.  We have been waiting for our beef for 3 months or so to be ready and it sounds like we are going to have a delivery in the next two weeks.  We will start working on some of that frozen stuff down in the freezer to make room.

No comments:

Post a Comment