Sunday, June 26, 2011

CSA Week 4

Another week has flown by!  We are always excited to find out what is in the cooler and see what surprises and new things there are for us to try.  I'm really enjoying seeing what we have and come up with new ways to use it.  For week 3, we got our first shipment of beets, something I have to admit to not eaten a lot of.  June had a fabulous recipe from her newlywed cookbook that worked wonderfully.  We will be able to make it again this week with our goodies, if we want..... Maybe you will get lucky and she will post it for you.  :)

We were able to enjoy strawberry shortcake again for Father's day with our week three goodies.  We also made the beets, fresh potatoes, and got our first batch of goats cheese from the farm.  Overall, a very farmer's dinner inspired Father's Day meal.  Sorry week 3 post was missed.  I'm going to work harder at staying on top of it.

Now, onto week 4!  We didn't get any fruit this week, which was crushing.  We were hoping for raspberries, but it rained too hard out in Silex, MO.  Boo!!  We did get several great new additions: zucchini, carrots & green beans.  From our newsletter "This week we have, Red potatoes, Green beans, Beets, Carrots, Lettuce, Cabbage, Kale, Zucchini, Soft Wheat Flour, Herb-Italian flat leaf parsley or chives, and a dozen eggs." 


We love the eggs and we are finding that we can use them all up fast enough.  We still have some wheat berries from week 2 that I'm hoping to make into a veggie chili for our Meatless Monday.  We have 2 weeks worth of green cabbage -- Timmy is promising to make it into soup.  I like cabbage and from the beginning information that I have about my Type 1 diabetes, cabbage is good for you.

As we get headed into the work week, I am working hard at managing my new diabetes with eating lots of good veggies and fresh fruit.  I'm saddened that we didn't get fruit, but happy with what we have been able to get so far.  I hope to update you about our exciting City Sustainable Backyard (aka garden) Tours that June and I went on today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment