Saturday, June 9, 2007

Shopaholic Finds Chinatown! :)

Oooh chinatown! I'm loving it!! We managed to find another decent market with all sorts of wonderfully cheap things to buy. My backpack is getting close to full, its also getting quite heavy.... But I have been so good so far. Almost all the way through Southeast Asia and yet to purchase a designer handbag or wallet. Talk about self-control! I should get a medal! ;) But alas, I will go to the market next and score a bag and ideally, a matching wallet for myself. Last night I bought two pairs of sunglasses for less than 10 USD. Fab, fab.

Yesterday we went to the Malaysian history museum. As far as museums go, it was pretty average. The Museum in Bangkok was 10 times better. Oh well. We learned a lot about pre-historic times and a bit about trading, then the usual colonization by the Europeans bit. We also read up on the Japanese invasion and occupation and the "glory" of modern Malaysia. Across the street is the largest flagpole and biggest flag in SE Asia or Asia (can't remember). Oooh aahhh. Then we got Oreo McFlurries at McD's and waited out the rain. For dinner, we found a reggie bar which had great ambiance. We got a candle for eating, I got the "ladys drink special" meaning my drink was 1/2 as much as Mike's (sweeet!) and a yummy snack. The portions over here are quite small in comparison to what we're used to, but our waitress (?) was a trani, so that keeps it interesting. (They are all over the place here.)

This morning, we awoke and headed over to the Patronas Towers. They're the largest twin towers in the world, the 3rd largest buildings in the world. They were in Entrapment if you saw that one. Anywho, we waited in line for our free ticket to the sky bridge on the 41st floor (about 1/2 way up). It only took us about 1/2 hour and our tickets were for 4:15 pm. Then off to Times Square, which is really just a boring mall. Boo. From there, we navigated over to the KL Tower and went up that. It was really quite fun and we got great views for pictures. Yippie!! After the KL tower, we ate like real locals. My food was 5.20 ringet (about $1.5) and Mike's was 8.40 ($2 something). I can't tell ya what we ate, but it was a little self-serve buffet and yummy. :) Then we went back towards the KLCC and Patronas Towers. They have the most insanely upscale mall there. Not just Tiffanys, but stores I've never seen in a mall at home. Everything from Cartier, Gucci, Gergigo Armani, Hermes, A/X, and so on. Mike and I couldn't have afforded anything there ... well, maybe a cup of coffee but that looked too expensive too and neither one of us drink it anyway. Then we hung out in their lovely park. It has a playground (I got some good height on the swing), a splash pool (no lifeguards needed, they don't sue like Americans do), an actual running track, a pond with fountains, lovely landscaped overhangs of vines for shade, all pulled together very nicely. So pretty. Why don't we have more lovely park space back home??

And now I better jet... Mike's been giving me the "are you done yet" eye from across the internet cafe. I think he probably was done 20 minutes ago....

No comments:

Post a Comment