Saturday, June 9, 2007

In the Jungle, the mighty Jungle the Lizzy sleeps tonight....

The Cameron Highlands is a nice mountainous region in Malaysia. We arrived via a 'VIP' bus (it costs a few extra ringet for the Super VIP) on a very windy, twisty road. I have to admit my stomach was a bit jiggly and not happy when we arrived. As usual, people from the hostels greet you and try to convince you to come along with them. We picked Daniel's Lodge and headed off in a small van. The hostel was basic, but it only cost 8 ringet (slightly more than $2) so I didn't complain. Mike liked our crumbly hostel back in Georgetown better, I preferred the showers in the Cameron Highlands for no particular reason. (I think I'm starting to develop thicker backpacker skin.) In Malaysia they always have tons of DVDs for you to browse and watch at the hostels since they are all pirated copies anyway. We watched Blood Diamond. It ruled!! I strongly recommend it for all.

After we watched Blood Diamond, Mike and I got chatting with another couple from England. They had picked up an American traveler along the way and the 5 of us went to grab some dinner. I don't know where this crazy American kid came from, he was so odd. He doesn't watch or own a TV ~ need I say more?? The British couple were delightful for conversation (they brought up things they hated while traveling, most people gloss over and say nice things) and the food was very filling and yummy. Mike got some delicious venison. I was a bit jealous after it arrived.

After dinner, we went around the campfire and had a beer. Oh how I was wishing for a s'more. None to be had, of course. We met the craziest German guy ever. He was rude and insulting as well as nuts. He picked on us for being Americans (big surprise) and went off on a range of other things. Mike and I shared numerous glances back and forth while he was ranting and we were trying to figure out how we could end the conversation and get to bed. Eventually we got around to his dogs and off the hook. Yikes. I am glad we didn't run into him again. Total asshole.

We woke up the next morning and bought a "map" of the Cameron Highlands so we would be able to pick a good walking trek. The map was nearly useless, but only 4 ringet so whatever. We had some breakfast but the portions were so small that both Mike and I being "fat" americans ordered two. Jeepers. Anyway, we selected track 8. It went by a waterfall that was totally lame after being to Chang Mai (or is it spelled Mei?). We didn't even bother snapping a picture of it. 8 is listed as being the steepest in the guidebook. It was a mountain to climb. It was a good adventure though and I enjoyed the strenuous trek... I think. Mike was faster than I and I do believe I slowed us down. Ah well. Whacha gonna do??

After our trek and lunch, we decided we'd go visit a tea plantation. (They are a big thing in the area, that and strawberry farms.) The lady at the hostel told us a local bus goes nearby and its cheap, so we figured we'd do that. Ha ha ha. No such luck. We waited at the bus station for about 1/2 hour for the bus we thought would take us there. The bus hung out at the depo for another 1/2 hour before the driver appeared to board. When he was collecting money, he asked where we wanted to go and told us we were on the wrong bus. We could wait another 1/2 hour or so for the next one. Mike and I gave up and negotiated with a taxi driver. Of course, by the time we arrived the tea plantation and factory was closed. Joy! And it was pouring rain! Double fun. And our taxi was gone. Triple fun! We decided to pay the 5 ringet for the butterfly farm. It was totally lame. I'm super happy it was cheap. With nothing else to do, we started to walk back in the rain. We managed to do okay for a bit, while continually looking for a taxi to hail. Eventually we did get one and ended up back in town. Thank goodness!! Time for another relaxing night with cool mountain air back at the hostel. They even have hot water for showers. Ahhhh....

No comments:

Post a Comment