Sunday, May 6, 2007

Hawkes Bay Wine Tour: Day 2 ~ The Lazy Way

I arose this morning to legs that were still aching. I am too young to be tired from all of yesterday's cycling (which I still haven't determined how many kms it is, but I'm thinking it was about 30 kms or more). I actually walked to the tourist information center, a whopping 5 minute jaunt, and decided today I'd hire a car. A much lazier way to run around Hawke's Bay Winery region than the cycling method I tried yesterday.

The rental car company scooped me up at the info center and I was on my way, route 2 south to be specific. I picked up a Canadian hitchhiker on my way, quite a friendly kid but still working on his mastery of english, French is his first language. [Yes, I picked up a hitchhiker. No, he wasn't a scary axe murder as I'm still alive right now.] I had always figured that the French part of Canada (Quebec area) was bi-lingual with most people speaking both French and English; not just French. Ah well, you learn something new everyday.

I headed in the direction of Cape Kidnappers ~ odd name but no doubt a beautiful area. First off was Clearview Estate. The vineyard is a nestled in a flat region, but has a beautiful little eatery and cellar room. (If I haven't mentioned previously, cellar rooms are for tastings and off-site or take-away sales.) They walls were lined with riddling racks -- yet Clearview Estate does not make any Champagne. I was able to sample several of their wines including a Gewurztraminer which I've been learning to love as of late. Yummy.

Just a minute up the road is Kim Crawford Wines. Kim Crawford is the 4th largest vineyard in New Zealand producing approximately 80-100,000 cases per year. They export around the world including throughout the US. So be sure to look for `em. KC is not an old vineyard, only about ten years and produce lower-priced and mid-range wines. Originally founded as a "virtual" winery with no offices, vineyards, or facilities. Kim was all about buying grapes from other harvesters throughout New Zealand. The facility was pretty and leaves had a beautiful color on this lovely fall afternoon.

After a long and lovely scenic drive through the countryside, I arrived at Craggy Range Winery. It was so long that I was a bit nervous I'd veered off track ~ especially after yesterday. Cragy Range is extremely monumental. Between their two labels they produce around 160,000 cases in a given year. Craggy Range is owned by an American who made his money in waste management but decided he rather have a legacy to pass on to his children. While enjoying my tasting, a couple came in and the lady just so happened to be a URI graduate who still lives nearby. Quite coincidental and all its a small world afterall .... i <3 Te Mata Chese company. Cheese addicts unite! It was sooo yummy. Te Mata Cheese is a small "artisan" company. I was invited to sample a variety of brie, blue cheese, and a softer creamy type cheese. I then ordered a "cheese plate for one" (vs. the full sized one recommended for 3) which was a bit much for just little ole me. I picked a scrumptious soft, goat cheese and a Gouda for my plate. Both were the type of cheese you want to savor with fine wine (which I'd already had enough of for that minute). I couldn't finish them, so I decided to take the Gouda and apricots along to enjoy later.

Not to be confused with the cheese company, Te Mata Estate is right next door. The design of the facility is interesting and I particularly enjoyed the pools with goldfish that surrounded the main sight. This vineyard is on the older side and you can enjoy your "holiday" in their accommodations ~ they have 2 or 3 different vineyard houses.

It's now late afternoon but I have not given up just yet. Next up is Black Barn. BB reminded me the most of Cable Bay. They produce about the same amount as CB does on Waiheke and they were very sleak and modern. They also featured some artwork by the same artists as we have on display at CB. Added bonus, I got to try some deliciously sweet dessert wine. :-)

Needing another break from the vineyards, I stopped into "the" honey shop. At Arataki Honey you are able to do a "honey tasting." You get to try mild, medium, and strong flavored honies. NZ is all about producing various types of honey and they are quite unique. Manuka Honey is a stronger variety that NZ is probably most well-known for and Arataki is a company label I've seen throughout NZ. Besides sampling a bit of honey, you can see some of the bees, learn about the honey making process, and test out a wide variety of their other honey products. They have everything from soap to ice cream. I looove sugar and this was quite a fantastic stop. As I'm almost out of my bert's bees, I had to buy some of their lip balm.

As the afternoon rolls towards evening, I managed to squeeze in Askerene Vineyards and Vidal Wines. Amazing that I was still on the trail.... but alas, I had a goal and I was out to accomplish it. Askerene was a small, family vineyard. The tasting was done by one of the owners and he told me that he and his wife had started the vineyard because they like to drink wine. Not a bad idea, aye? Vidal wines, on the other hand, is another very old vineyard founded in 1905. Their claim to fame is being the "oldest boutique winery." They had a variety of wines from several vineyards throughout Hawkes Bay and their facility was very well-planned. Unfortunetly, the suburban area that has grown up around it means that there is no idealic view. However, there are very many old barrels and pretty pieces about to enjoy over dinner or a tasting. Delicious!

It was now about 5:15 pm or so and the sun was getting ready to set. To finish off my day, I drove up to a peak, what I believe was called Te Mata Peak. As I raced visciously in the direction that the signs were pointing, the sun was disappearing beneath the horizon. It was a scrumptous sunset and I wish I'd made it to the top sooner. The last pics in the album are of the fleeting light and then I decided to stick around and eat my Gouda cheese with my apple for a snack and watch the nightlights for a bit. It was a very lovely day.

Google is having an error with posting of the albums the pretty way they nomally look. So here's the direct link to `em: http://picasaweb.google.com/esmith2/HawkesBay

No comments:

Post a Comment